Above all else, our number one priority at Stage Academy is keeping students, staff and parents safe and secure during their time with us. Stage Academy staff will ensure that venues are safe and secure, that planned activities are suitable and that students are properly supervised at all times. The Stage Academy principal will take appropriate steps to ensure the safety and security of their staff.
Before any Stage Academy activity, the member of staff in charge will complete a risk assessment to ensure it is safe and appropriate to continue. This must happen before every session regardless of how often the venue is used by Stage Academy and a written record will be kept. Through this risk assessment staff members will check that:
- The space is clean, tidy, safe, well lit and of an adequate temperature
- Medical and emergency information for all students in readily available
- The activities planned are suitable for the space
- Any plug sockets, electrical wiring and windows are safe and in good condition
- Fire exits are accessible and staff members are aware of evacuation procedures
- Toilets are clean and safe
Following the start of the session staff will ensure that:
- The classroom is adequately secured from intruders
- Any required medication is present and readily available
Accident and incident reporting
Stage Academy staff will report all accidents or incidents that take place at a Stage Academy activity by using the appropriate reporting form, in all cases staff will make the Stage Academy principal aware immediately.
Parents must inform Stage Academy of any accidents or incidents which have caused injury outside of Stage Academy, this should be done through the Parent Account page on the Stage Academy website prior to the student's next class or with the Stage Academy principal on drop off should this not be possible.
Avoiding missing students
Stage Academy staff are constantly alert to the possibility of missing students. Stage Academy will take the following steps to avoid missing students:
- Students must sign in with a Stage Academy staff member on arrival at their Stage Academy activity. For all children under 10 and any children over 10 who are not authorised to go home alone a face-to-face handover must happen between the parent and staff member.
- Staff will carry out a regular headcount throughout Stage Academy activities
- Students will remain supervised at all times.
- Staff will follow our pick up policy at the end of the Stage Academy activity.
In the incredibly unlikely event a student can not be located the principal will conduct a thorough search of the venue, should the student not be located immediately the police will be informed along with the parent or guardian. The principal will continue the search for the child while remaining staff members continue to look after the remaining students and contact activities in the most normal way possible.
All Stage Academy venues have their own personalised emergency evacuation plan which is the responsibility of the Stage Academy principal. At all venues in the event of an emergency evacuation the following steps will be taken:
- Students will be lined up by their current class teacher in a calm manner and a headcount will be performed.
- Students will be led using the nearest safe exit to the venue's emergency meeting point. No attempt should be made to take personal belongings or to re-enter the building until permission has been given by the Stage Academy Principal.
- The Stage Academy Principal in charge will also head to the venue's emergency meeting point via the nearest safe exit taking the days register with them.
- The Stage Academy Principal will take a register to ensure all students and staff are present at the emergency meeting point. The principal should notify emergency services and check the venue to ensure all people have vacated - provided that doing this does not put anyone at risk.
- If returning to the venue once inside the current class teachers will perform another headcount before continuing with their lessons as normal.
- If we are unable to re-enter the venue parents will be contacted to pick up students and students will remain supervised. In this event, the usual pick up policy will be followed as normal.
- It is the responsibility of the Stage Academy Principal to ensure that all staff are fully aware of the emergency evacuation procedures and their role in the event of an evacuation.
Once per year an emergency evacuation drill will take place to ensure that all staff and students are prepared in the unlikely event of an emergency evacuation.